Review: TOMORROW IT WILL ALL RUN BACKWARDS - Michael Brett

I own both a paperback edition and a kindle edition of Michael Brett's book of poems, Tomorrow It Will All Run Backwards - Modern War Poetry. It is not often that I purchase a second copy of a book I already own to put on my kindle, but I liked this collection of poems so much, I wanted easy access when I travel.

The book's subtitle, "Modern War Poetry," is at least in part deceiving. Throughout the book, Brett weaves a spell that includes not only the horrors of war, but also everyday scenes, and moments that span history and continents. This collection transcends easy categorization, but is also profoundly moving, imaginative, and thought-provoking, filled with tricks of wordplay that seem simple on the surface but release their energy and insights like depth charges.

The book is divided into three sections:
1. Easdale Island By Oban, Argyll, Scotland 1974-80
2. The Information Centre of Bosnia-Herzegovina, London 1990-5
3. London 2000-2015

The collection includes poems also published on the US Library of Congress website of 9-11 poems.

It is a dazzling, kaleidoscopic collection.

Brett's voice is unique; readers in the US unfamiliar with his work will find that it compares very favorably with the work of poets such as Vietnam veterans Bruce Weigl (What Saves Us), or Ed Micus (The Infirmary), both of which were award-winning in the US.

Emily Dickinson:
“If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry."

William Stafford:  
"A poem is a serious joke, a truth that has learned jujitsu."

These words apply to Michael Brett's remarkable, multi-award-winning collection.

If you love poetry, "Tomorrow It Will All Run Backwards" offers much to love. If you don't already own a copy (or two), I highly recommend it.

For a longer 2018 review by Randy Brown of Michael Brett's book, see this link:[1]

[1] https://thestrategybridge.org/the-bridge/2018/2/12/reviewing-tomorrow-it-will-all-run-backwards


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
YOU CAN SUPPORT ME on a one-time "tip" basis on Ko-Fi:
https://ko-fi.com/pauladrianfried

IF YOU WOULD PREFER to support me on a REGULAR basis,
you may do so on Ko-Fi, or here on Patreon:
https://patreon.com/PaulAdrianFried
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: If and when I quote or paraphrase bible passages or mention religion in many of my blog posts, I do not intend to promote any religion over another, nor am I attempting to promote religious belief in general; only to explore how the Bible and religion influenced Shakespeare, his plays, and his age.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My current project is a book tentatively titled Hamlet’s Bible, about biblical allusions and plot echoes in Hamlet.

Below is a link to a list of some of my top posts (“greatest hits”), including a description of my book project (last item on the list):

https://pauladrianfried.blogspot.com/2019/12/top-20-hamlet-bible-posts.html

I post every week, so please visit as often as you like and consider FOLLOWING.
To find the FOLLOW button, go to the home page: https://pauladrianfried.blogspot.com/
see the = drop-down menu with three lines in the upper left.
From there you can click FOLLOW and see options.

Comments